Vanilla Custard Apple Tart
6 hrs 30 mins total time
40 mins active time
For the pastry:
- 1⅓ cups (7 oz) all-purpose flour
plus extra for dusting
- ⅓ cup (2 oz) superfine sugar
- ¼ tsp flaky sea salt
- 3½ oz unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
For the filling:
- 1 lemon
- 3 cups (24 fl oz) water
- 4½ oz 5-6 small pink lady apples
- ⅓ cup (1½ oz) vanilla custard powder
- ½ cup (3½ oz) superfine sugar
- 2½ cups (20 fl oz) heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (¾ oz) sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar
- 1Grease the bottom and side of a 9-inch springform cake pan.
- 2To make the pastry, put the flour, sugar, salt and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the egg and pulse until the pastry just comes together.
- 3Turn the pastry out onto a lightly floured countertop and knead gently until smooth. Flatten to form a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm enough to roll.
- 4Roll the pastry between two sheets of parchment paper into a 11 ½-inch round. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and transfer the pastry to the prepared pan. Use your fingertips to gently press the pastry into the pan without stretching. Trim the pastry edge so it is level. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 5Insert the wire rack into the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select BAKE/CONVECTION/325°F/20 minutes and press start.
- 6Line the pastry with a piece of parchment paper, making sure it completely covers the bottom and side of the pastry. Half fill with pie weights, beans or raw rice. Put the cake pan on the pizza pan.
- 7Once preheated, put the tart in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and pie weights and continue baking for 10 minutes until the pastry is light golden all over. Remove the tart from the oven and set aside to cool.
- 8To make the filling, combine the lemon juice and water in a large bowl.
- 9Partially core the apples with an apple corer or melon baller starting from the bottom. Do not go all the way through to ensure the top is left intact. Put the apples in the lemon water to prevent discoloring.
- 10Combine the custard powder, sugar and 1 cup (8 fl oz) of the cream in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan. Add the remaining cream and vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until the custard just comes to a boil.
- 11Preheat the oven. Select BAKE/ CONVECTION/325°F/60 minutes and press start.
- 12Pour the hot custard in the tart shell. Press the apples into the custard, cored-side down and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
- 13Once the oven has preheated, put the tart in the oven and bake for 60 minutes until the apples are just tender and the almonds golden.
- 14Put the tart on a wire rack and let cool completely.
- 15Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.