Hot Apple Pie and Coconut Crumble Waffles
45 mins total time
20 mins active time
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups (12 fl oz) milk
- 1 cup (8 oz) unsalted butter
melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups (11¾ oz) self-rising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup superfine sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 13½ oz can apple pie filling
For the coconut crumble:
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup (¾ oz) rolled oats
- ¼ cup (1 oz) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (1¾ oz) brown sugar
- 4 tbsp (2 oz) unsalted butter
cut into small pieces
- Vanilla ice cream
- Fresh apple slices
- 1To make the coconut crumble, combine the coconut, oats, flour and sugar in a medium bowl. Using fingertips, rub butter into coconut mixture until coarse crumbs form. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oat mixture and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until golden and crumbly. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- 2Select CLASSIC waffle setting and dial up number 6 on the LIGHT/DARK indicator dial.
- 3Preheat until the orange light flashes and the word HEATING disappears.
- 4Meanwhile, put the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined.
- 5Combine the flour, cinnamon and sugars in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- 6Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture to form a smooth batter. Stir in the apple pie filling.
- 7Pour ½ cup of batter into each waffle square and close the lid to cook.
- 8Repeat with remaining batter.
- 9Serve with vanilla ice cream, fresh apple slices and topped with the coconut crumble.