2 hrs 25 mins total time
50 mins active time
- 12 (7 oz) no-boil lasagna sheets
- 1 (3½ oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (1½ oz) finely grated parmesan cheese
For the meat sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ cup (5 oz) tomato paste
- 2¼ lb 90% lean ground beef
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar
- 3 (14½ oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup (½ oz) firmly packed basil leaves
For the béchamel sauce:
- 3½ oz unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup (3½ oz) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (32 oz) milk
- ¾ cup (2 oz) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1To make the meat sauce, heat the oil in a large deep saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- 2Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- 3Add the tomato paste, cook, stirring for 1 minute
- 4Increase the heat to medium-high, and add the ground beef. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to break up the meat, for 4-6 minutes until the meat changes color. Stir in the bay leaves and salt and pepper.
- 5Add the vinegar and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar and crushed tomatoes, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened, but is still loose. You don’t want the sauce too thick, as the liquid from the sauce is what helps to cook the pasta.
- 6Remove from the heat. Remove the bay leaves and stir in the basil. Cover and set aside.
- 7To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes until the mixture bubbles and starts to look a little grainy. Remove the pan from the heat.
- 8Add the milk slowly, whisking constantly to avoid any lumps. Return the pan to the heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the sauce comes to a boil
- 9Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- 10Choose a 9x13-inch, 3-inch deep baking dish. Check that the baking dish fits into the oven.
- 11To assemble the lasagna, spread ½ cup (2 oz) of the meat sauce evenly over the bottom of the baking dish.
- 12Place 3-4 lasagna sheets over the sauce to cover the bottom, ensuring they don’t overlap, snapping off any excess pasta. Spread 2½ cups (26 oz) of the remaining meat sauce over the pasta. Spread 1 1/3 cups (10 ¾ fl oz) béchamel over the meat sauce.
- 13Repeat the pasta, meat sauce and béchamel layers twice more, finishing with the béchamel. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the top of the lasagna then cover the dish with foil.
- 14Insert the wire rack into the middle shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select BAKE/CONVECTION/350°F/60 minutes and press start.
- 15Once preheated, place the lasagna in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- 16Carefully remove the foil and parchment paper and bake a further 30 minutes until golden and bubbling around the edges.
- 17Allow the lasagna to stand for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.