Spice Rubbed Mexican Chicken with Grilled Corn
2 hrs total time
50 mins active time
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 thyme sprigs
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) olive oil
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- 3 lb whole chicken
For the Mexican grilled corn:
- 4 ears of corn on the cob
husks and removed
- 2 oz Manchego or mozzarella cheese
For the salsa:
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 2 green onions
- ½ lime
zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- ⅓ cup (3 oz) sour cream
- Lime wedges
- 1Insert the wire rack into the middle shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select, ROAST/CONVECTION/350°F/50 minutes.
- 2Put the smoked paprika, chili powder, ground coriander, garlic, thyme, oil and salt in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- 3Put the chicken on a tray. Spoon the marinade over the chicken and turn and coat.
- 4Set the grilling broiling rack over the roasting pan. Put the chicken on the broiling rack, skin side up. Spoon the marinade over the chicken.
- 5Once preheated, place the chicken in the oven and roast for 50 minutes until cooked. To test, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh, if the juices run clear the chicken is cooked. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Pour all the pan juices into a bowl and reserve. Cover the chicken with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- 6Wash the broiling rack and roasting pan.
- 7To make the salsa, cut the tomatoes into quarters. Using a knife, remove and discard the seeds and finely chop. Put in a bowl. Add the bell pepper, green onions, lime zest, juice and the olive oil and salt to the tomatoes. Stir to combine. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- 8To make the Mexican grilled corn, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the corn, boil uncovered for 4-6 minutes until the corn is just tender. Drain the corn and set aside.
- 9Brush the corn with the some of the reserved pan juices.
- 10Set the broiling rack over the roasting pan and put the corn on the rack. Put the corn in the oven.
- 11Set the oven to BROIL/HIGH/6 minutes.
- 12When the timer is finished, remove the pan from the oven and turn the corn. Brush the corn with more pan juices and put back in the oven. Set the oven to BROIL/HIGH/4 minutes.
- 13Cut the chicken into quarters, place on a serving platter with the corn. Grate Manchego over the corn using a microplane. Serve with the salsa, sour cream and lime wedges.