Italian Pork and Fennel Sausage Pizza
2 hrs 45 mins total time
55 mins active time
Makes 4 pizzas
For the dough:
- 3⅓ cups (17½ oz) bread flour
- 2 tsp instant dried yeast
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) lukewarm water
For the pizza sauce:
- 14½ oz can whole tomatoes
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
For the topping:
- 3 (9½ oz) sweet Italian pork and fennel sausages
- 4 tsp olive oil
plus extra to serve
- 1 cup (¾ oz) loosely packed basil leaves
- 1¼ cups (3½ oz) coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- 5½ oz provolone cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves
- 1To make the dough, put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, mix to combine. Add the oil and water, and mix on medium-low speed for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. (Alternatively, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add oil and water and mix until the dough comes together, add an extra tablespoon of water if necessary. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.)
- 2Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- 3Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and punch down to remove the excess air. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Divide into four, 6 ½ oz pieces.
- 4To make the pizza sauce, put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- 5For the topping, remove the casings from the sausages. Shape teaspoons of the sausage meat into small balls, then flatten.
- 6To make the pizza, turn the ON/OFF switch to the ON position and PREHEAT the pizza oven for 15 minutes.
- 7Roll out each piece of pizza dough to form a 9 ½-inch round and place each on a 11 ¾-inch square piece of parchment paper.
- 8Prick the crusts with a fork or pizza docker.
- 9Spread 1 teaspoon of oil over each pizza crust. Spread with 3 tablespoons of the pizza sauce.
- 10Divide the toppings evenly among the crusts.
- 11Select the THIN crust setting.
- 12Transfer one of the pizzas (still on the parchment paper) to the hot pizza stone and close the lid. Cook for 2 minutes.
- 13Open the lid and quickly slide the parchment paper out carefully. Close the lid and cook for a further 4-6 minutes until browned. Monitor the cooking progress through the viewing window. Topping should be cooked and golden and crust crisp and brown.
- 14Open the lid carefully with oven mitt and transfer the pizza to a cutting board.
- 15Repeat with the remaining pizzas.
- 16Drizzle with extra olive oil, season with salt and pepper and garnish with basil leaves. Slice and serve.