1 hr 55 mins total time
25 mins active time
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 2 tbsp superfine sugar
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) milk
- 2 cups (10½ oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 9 tbsp (4½ oz) unsalted butter
at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Belgian pearl sugar
plus extra to serve
- Pure maple syrup
- Whipped butter
- 1Combine the yeast, 1 teaspoon of the superfine sugar and warm milk in a small bowl. Stand for 10 minutes until mixture is frothy.
- 2Put the flour, salt, butter, vanilla, egg and remaining superfine sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, beat until mixture looks crumbly.
- 3Add the yeast mixture and mix until dough comes away from side of the bowl. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 4Add the pearl sugar and knead until combined. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- 5Punch down the dough. Knead for 20 seconds until smooth. Cut dough into 16 x 2¾ ounce portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
- 6Select BELGIAN waffle setting and select 4 on LIGHT/DARK indicator dial.
- 7Preheat until the orange light flashes and the word HEATING disappears.
- 8Place a ball of dough in the centre of each waffle square and close the lid to cook.
- 9Repeat with the remaining dough.
- 10Scatter with extra pearl sugar and serve with maple syrup and whipped butter.