Air-Fried Eggplant Parmesan
2 hrs 25 mins total time
1 hr active time
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Pinch red-pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1Slice eggplant crosswise into ½-inch slices. Lay slices in single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Flip slices and sprinkle with another ½ teaspoon salt. Let rest for 20 minutes while preparing breading.
- 2Combine panko, Parmesan, oregano, salt and black pepper in bowl of Breville food processor. Process until finely ground, about 15–20 seconds. Transfer to a shallow dish.
- 3Place flour in a second shallow dish. Scramble eggs and 2 tablespoons water in a third shallow dish.
- 4Use paper towels or a clean dish towel to dry the eggplant slices, pressing firmly on both sides to remove as much moisture as possible.
- 5Working in batches, toss eggplant in flour and shake off any excess. Dip eggplant in egg and allow excess to drain off. Dredge eggplant in panko mixture, ensuring all sides are well crusted. If there are any extra breadcrumbs, reserve them to sprinkle on top of casserole.
- 6Place half of eggplant on the airfry rack in a single layer. Reserve remaining eggplant on a dry baking pan.
- 7Select AIRFRY/375°F/SUPER CONVECTION/20 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- 8Cook in rack position 4 until brown and crispy, about 20 minutes. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- 9While eggplant is cooking, make the marinara sauce; Pour tomatoes and their juices into a large bowl and crush with your hands. Alternatively, blend with an immersion blender or Breville food processor for a smoother sauce.
- 10Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until just golden, about 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, oregano and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Simmer sauce for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and reserve.
- 11Insert wire rack in rack position 4. Select BAKE/400°F/CONVECTION/10 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- 12Spread ¼ cup marinara sauce on the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant in the dish.
- 13Sprinkle eggplant with half of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the Parmesan. Spoon 1 cup sauce over the cheese.
- 14Repeat layering with remaining eggplant and mozzarella and half of the remaining Parmesan. Spoon 1 cup of sauce over the top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and 2 tablespoons reserved breadcrumb mixture (optional).
- 15Bake casserole until bubbly and golden brown on top, 10–15 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve with extra marinara sauce.