Soft Dinner Rolls
2 hrs 15 mins total time
40 mins active time
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp instant dried yeast
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
melted, plus extra 2 tbsp, melted for brushing
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 cups bread flour
plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- 1Combine the milk and yeast in a small bowl. Add the butter, egg and egg yolk and stir to combine. 2. Place the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a bench mixer. Using the dough hook, mix on low speed to combine. Pour in the milk mixture and mix to combine. Increase the speed to medium and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 2Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball. Place the dough in a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in the oven in rack position 6.
- 3Select PROOF/88°F/CONVECTION/ 40 MINUTES and press START. Proof the dough until the dough doubles in size.
- 4Spray a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish with the cooking spray.
- 5Turn the dough out onto work surface and divide into 12 equal pieces, about 65g each.
- 6Roll each piece into a tight ball and place in the baking dish, leaving about 1-inch between the balls. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and place in the oven.
- 7Select PROOF/88°F/CONVECTION/ 30 MINUTES and press START. Proof the rolls until they double in size.
- 8Remove the dish from the oven.
- 9Reset the oven to Select BAKE/350°F/CONVECTION/15 MINUTES and press START to preheat.
- 10Remove the plastic wrap and brush the rolls with the extra butter. Place the extra flour into a sieve and lightly dust the rolls with flour.
- 11Once preheated, place the rolls in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 12Cool in the dish for 10 minutes before serving.