Baked Italian Eggs with Air Fried Bacon
40 mins total time
25 mins active time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups (16 fl oz) canned crushed tomatoes
- 6 basil leaves
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup (1¾ oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup (¾ oz) grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 8 slices baguette
- 1Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute until fragrant.
- 2Add the crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Preheat the oven. Select AIRFRY/SUPER CONVECTION/425°F/8 minutes and press start. Line the roasting pan with parchment paper.
- 4Cut the bacon crosswise into ½-inch thick batons and place in the AIR FRY basket.
- 5Once preheated, place the basket into the AIR FRY position and insert the roasting pan in a lower rack position to catch the drips from the bacon. Cook for 8 minutes until the bacon is just crisp. Set aside.
- 6Spoon 1/3 cup of the sauce into the base of four, 5-inch lightly greased individual gratin dishes.
- 7Crack one egg over the sauce into each gratin dish. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Spoon 2 teaspoons of the milk over the cheese in each gratin dish.
- 8Insert the wire rack into the middle shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select, BAKE/CONVECTION/375°F/9 minutes.
- 9Once preheated, place the gratin dishes into the oven on the wire rack and bake for 9 minutes until the egg is almost cooked to your liking.
- 10Put the bacon back into the oven in the top shelf position to reheat. Select BROIL/ HIGH/1 minute.
- 11Remove the bacon from the oven and spoon it evenly over the four gratins. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley, season with pepper and serve with the toasted baguette.