Broiled Haloumi, Peach and Fennel Salad
47 mins total time
28 mins active time
For the salad:
- 1½ cups (12 fl oz) water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups (5¼ oz) pearl couscous
- ¼ tsp flaky sea salt
- ¼ cup (1 oz) pine nuts
- 2 baby fennels
- 8 oz haloumi
- ⅔ cup (¾ oz) firmly packed basil leaves
- ⅔ cup (¾ oz) firmly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup (¼ oz) firmly packed dill sprigs
- 2 free-stone peaches
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1To make the salad, put the water and 1 teaspoon of the oil in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the couscous, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 8 minutes until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed.
- 2Transfer the couscous to a bowl. Add the sea salt and 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil. Stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and pierce a few small holes for the steam to escape. Refrigerate to cool.
- 3Insert the wire rack into the middle shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select ROAST/CONVECTION/350°F/4 minutes and press start.
- 4Spread the pine nuts over the bottom of the roasting pan.
- 5Once preheated, put the pine nuts in the oven and roast for 4 minutes until golden. Transfer the pine nuts to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- 6Using a mandolin, thinly shave the fennel. Put it in a bowl and cover with cold water.
- 7To make the vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk until well combined.
- 8Slice the haloumi into 6 slices. Brush both sides with the remaining olive oil.
- 9Set the broiling rack over the roasting pan. Place the haloumi on the rack, in a single layer.
- 10Set the oven to BROIL/HIGH/4 minutes.
- 11Put the haloumi in the oven. When the timer finishes, remove the pan, turn the haloumi over using a spatula, and return to the oven.
- 12Set the oven to BROIL/HIGH/3 minutes.
- 13Transfer the haloumi to a board and cut 2 pieces in half.
- 14Stir the couscous with a fork to break up any clumps then spoon it into a large bowl.
- 15Drain the fennel well. Pat dry with paper towel. Add to the couscous with the basil, parsley, dill and pine nuts. Stir to combine. Pour over the vinaigrette and stir to coat.
- 16Cut each peach into 4 thick wedges.
- 17Divide the salad between serving bowls. Top with 2 wedges of peach and 1½ slices of haloumi. Season with pepper and serve.