Twisted Reuben on Rye
45 mins total time
15 mins active time
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- ⅓ cup (2¾ oz) apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 2 oz salted butter
at room temperature
- 12 slices rye bread
- 2 tbsp horseradish sauce
- 8¾ oz aged cheddar cheese
- 10½ oz thinly sliced corned beef
- Pickled onions and micro herbs
- 1Put the red cabbage in a small glass or ceramic bowl. Drizzle with half the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss well. Repeat with the green cabbage and remaining vinegar in a separate bowl. Let both marinate for 15 minutes. Drain.
- 2Preheat the sandwich press until the READY light illuminates.
- 3Butter the bread slices and place 6 slices buttered side down.
- 4Spread 6 slices with the horseradish sauce. Top with half the cheese slices.
- 5Top with the corned beef and drained red and green cabbage. Top with the remaining cheese and sandwich with the remaining bread slices, buttered-side facing up.
- 6Place two of the sandwiches onto the sandwich press and lower the lid. Cook for 5 minutes until the bread is toasted and the filling is heated through.
- 7Remove the sandwiches using a silicone spatula. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- 8Cut in half and serve with the pickled onions and herbs.