Buckwheat and Quinoa Apple Cake
1 hr 15 mins total time
20 mins active time
- 1 cup (7 oz) raw buckwheat
- 1 cup (5 oz) quinoa flakes
- ¾ cup (5 oz) superfine turbinado or raw sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup (5½ fl oz) reduced fat milk
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) macadamia oil
- ⅓ cup (3 oz) apple sauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 (10½ oz) medium green apples
peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Greek yogurt
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line the base and side of a 8-inch round springform pan with parchment paper.
- 2Put the buckwheat and quinoa flakes in the blender and secure the lid. MILL for 30 seconds until finely ground.
- 3Add the sugar, baking powder and cinnamon to the blender. STIR for 10 seconds until combined.
- 4Add the eggs, milk, oil, apple sauce and vanilla to the blender and secure the lid. STIR for 30 seconds. Use a spatula to combine any remaining dry ingredients to avoid over mixing.
- 5Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the apple slices over the top.
- 6Bake for 45-55 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 7Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack. Brush the top of the hot cake with jam. Set aside to cool.
- 8Serve with yogurt.