2 hrs total time
20 mins active time
Makes 1 loaf
- 19¾ oz wheat berries
- 2½ tsp instant dried yeast
- 1½ oz softened unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups (10 fl oz) warm water
- 2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 2 tsp honey
- Olive oil
- 1Put the wheat berries in the blender and secure the lid. MILL for 1-1½ minutes until finely ground into flour.
- 2In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine 3 cups of the whole wheat flour, yeast, butter, water, salt and honey. Knead on medium speed for 4 minutes. Add more whole wheat flour (up to ¾ cup), as needed, until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Continue kneading in the mixer for 5 minutes.
- 3Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a clean dry tea towel. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes until the dough has doubled in size.
- 4Lightly grease a 9x5-inch, loaf pan.
- 5Dust a countertop lightly with a little of the whole wheat flour. Punch down the dough and turn onto the lightly floured counter. Knead until smooth. Shape into a 9x5-inch rectangle and place into the loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and a clean dry tea towel. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes until the loaf is well risen.
- 6Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 7Put the loaf in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
- 8Turn onto a wire rack, and cool for at least 10 minutes.
- 9Slice and serve warm or at room temperature spread with cream cheese or butter.