Beef Sliders with Pickled Chilies and Apple Slaw
A comforting classic with some peppy additions. Stuff your fluffy buns to the brim with slow cooked smoky brisket, then give them another dimension with fiery pickled chilies and crisp apple slaw. No one is resisting these!
6 hrs 15 mins total time
30 mins active time
For the spice rub:
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 5 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2½ lb flat brisket
- 1 cup (16 fl oz) apple cider
For the quick-pickled chili pepper:
- 1 long red chili pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the apple slaw:
- 1 tbsp apple cider
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 100 g cabbage
- 1 green onion
- ½ small green apple
- 8 slider buns
cut in half horizontally
- 1Insert the wire rack into position 6. Select BAKE/CONVECTION/260°F/6 hours and press START to preheat. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 2Make the spice rub, place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- 3Tear 3 lengths of foil 1 x 45-inches long and 2 x 30-inches long. Lay the long piece horizontally on the countertop. Lightly oil the center of the foil. Place the 2 remaining sheets vertically and slightly overlapping each other in the middle, to form a cross. Place the roasting pan in the center of the cross and insert the broiling rack.
- 4Place the beef on the rack and sprinkle all over with the spice rub, patting it to adhere. Pour the apple cider in the pan, avoiding the beef.
- 5Bring the edges of the foil up and over the beef to loosely cover and create a parcel. Tightly seal the edges.
- 6Once preheated, place the parcel in the oven. The foil parcel needs to be airtight to slow cook properly. Be careful you don’t tear the foil when handling.
- 7Meanwhile, make the quick-pickled chili pepper. Place the chili in a small bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and sugar and stir. Add the vinegar and allow to pickle for at least 15 minutes, or longer while the beef cooks.
- 8Meanwhile, make the apple slaw. Place the apple cider, vinegar, mustard and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the cabbage, onion and apple and stir gently to combine.
- 9When the oven signals, remove the beef and the wire rack from the oven. Carefully open the foil, transfer the beef to a cutting board and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each half into slices to fit the slider buns. Once the pan has cooled, strain the cooking liquid into a measuring cup.
- 10Place the buns, cut side up, in the air fry basket. Insert the basket into rack position 3. Select BROIL/HIGH/1 minute and press START to lightly toast the buns.
- 11Remove the buns from the basket and set aside.
- 12Insert the wire rack into position 4. Select ROAST/SUPER CONVECTION/400°F/10 minutes and press START to preheat.
- 13Place the beef slices in the roasting pan. Pour enough of the reserved cooking liquid to just cover. When the oven signals, place the pan in the oven to heat the beef.
- 14Spread the base of each bun with mayonnaise. Top with the beef, slaw, pickled chili and bun top. Secure with a toothpick and serve.Tip: Any leftover beef can be used in sandwiches, wraps, omelet or frittata.