Mushroom Noodle Kugel
1 hr 5 mins total time
45 mins active time
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions
- 12 oz button mushrooms
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
divided + 3 tablespoons for cooking noodles
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat 4 tablespoons (60g) butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the mushrooms, an additional ½ teaspoon salt and the thyme to the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have cooked down and are dark brown, about 10 minutes. Deglaze pan with a few tablespoons of water as needed during cooking.
- 3While onions and mushrooms are cooking, bring 5 quarts of water to a boil. Add 3 tablespoons salt and egg noodles. Cook until tender, 8–9 minutes. Drain noodles.
- 4Place 3 tablespoons (45g) butter in a large bowl. Add drained noodles and stir until butter is melted and evenly coats the noodles.
- 5Combine eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper and lemon zest in a second large bowl and whisk well. Add onions, mushrooms and buttered noodles to egg mixture and stir to combine.
- 6Use remaining 1 tablespoon butter to grease the bottom and sides of a 10½ x 15½ x 1-inch jelly roll pan. Spread noodle mixture evenly in pan.
- 7Insert wire rack into rack position 6. Select BAKE/425°F/CONVECTION/ 20 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- 8Once preheated, place pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until brown and crispy on top.
- 9Serve hot or at room temperature.Tip: Kugel can also be baked in a buttered 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Increase cooking time as necessary.