Herb and Citrus Roasted Lamb
1 hr 55 mins total time
30 mins active time
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 cup (¾ oz) loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ⅓ cup (2¾ fl oz) olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp (¾ oz) honey
- 3½ lb boneless leg of lamb or lamb shoulder
fat trimmed and butterflied
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1Combine the rosemary, parsley, thyme, garlic, cumin, ¼ cup (2 fl oz) olive oil, lemon zest, orange zest and lemon juice in the small bowl of a food processor. Process to a coarse puree. Spoon the puree into a bowl and set aside.
- 2Combine the mustard, honey and remaining oil in a small bowl and mix well.
- 3Unroll the lamb and place fat side down between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Make a few shallow cuts in the thicker portions of the lamb, this will help it to flatten more easily when pounding. Pound the lamb using a rolling pin or meat mallet to about ¾ inch thick, creating a rectangular shape.
- 4Season both sides of the lamb with salt and pepper, then place the lamb on a board fat side down. Spread the herb and citrus puree evenly over the lamb.
- 5Starting from a short side, tightly roll the lamb. Using kitchen twine, tie at 1 inch intervals to secure the lamb and create a round shape.
- 6Put the lamb in the roasting pan. Brush all over with the mustard mixture. Put the lemon, cut side down in the pan.
- 7Insert the wire rack in the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select ROAST/325°F/65 minutes.
- 8Once preheated, put the lamb in the oven and cook for 65 minutes for medium-rare.
- 9Transfer the lamb to a plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
- 10Arrange the watercress on a serving platter, top with the lamb and roasted lemon. Slice and serve.