Air-Fried Zucchini Fries with Herb Yogurt
Zucchini fries make a great alternative to traditional fries. Coated in panko and parmesan then air fried, they are crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.
1 hr total time
45 mins active time
For the zucchini:
- 2 x 8 oz zucchini
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 oz) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (2½ oz) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- ⅓ cup (1¾ oz) all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
For the herbed yogurt dip:
- 1 cup (8½ oz) plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Trim the ends then cut in half crosswise, cut each half lengthwise into ½-inch thick wedges.
- 2Place in a colander set over a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and toss to combine. Stand for 30 minutes to draw out the moisture. The drier the zucchini, the crunchier the fries will be. Meanwhile, make the dip.
- 3Whisk all the ingredients listed below together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4Rinse well under cold water to remove the excess salt. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 5Place the breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and cayenne pepper in a food processor and pulse until finer in texture. Transfer to a shallow dish. Place the flour in a bowl. Whisk the egg whites until foaming.
- 6Place a third of the zucchini in the flour and toss to coat, shaking off the excess. Dip each into the egg whites to coat, allowing the excess to drain. Coat in the crumb mixture and lightly shake away the excess. Repeat with the remaining zucchini.
- 7Place in a single layer in the air fry basket ensuring they are not touching.
- 8The oven will preheat. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 9Generously spray the zucchini with cooking spray.
- 10Once preheated, place the basket in rack position 3 and start the timer.
- 11The zucchini fries should be golden and crisp. If not, give it a bit more.
- 12Sprinkle with salt and serve with the yogurt dip.