Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
1 hr 15 mins total time
55 mins active time
For the skewers:
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 lemongrass stalks
white parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 cilantro sprigs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 26½ oz boneless and skinless chicken thighs
For the peanut sauce:
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 shallots
peeled, finely chopped
- 3/4 -inch piece (½ oz) fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cilantro sprigs
- 1 long hot red chili pepper
seeds removed, finely chopped
- ½ cup (4¼ oz) crunchy peanut butter
- 1¼ cups (10 fl oz) coconut milk
- 1 tbsp kecap manis
- 1 tsp soy sauce
For the cucumber salad:
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 small seedless English cucumber
- ½ tsp small red onion
- ½ cup (½ oz) mint leaves
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1To make the skewers, put the oil, lemongrass, cilantro, garlic, shallots, turmeric, ground coriander, chilli powder, sugar and salt into a food processor. Process until smooth.
- 2Cut the chicken into 1 ¼-inch pieces and put in a bowl. Spoon the lemongrass mixture over the chicken and stir until evenly coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- 3To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, ginger, garlic, cilantro, and chili pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- 4Add the peanut butter and the coconut milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes until thickened.
- 5Stir in the kecap manis and soy sauce. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside until serving.
- 6Inset the wire rack into the AIR FRY position.
- 7Preheat the oven. Select AIRFRY/SUPER CONVECTION/425°F/13 minutes and press start.
- 8Line the roasting pan with foil. Set the broiling rack on top of the roasting pan.
- 9Thread the chicken onto eight skewers.
- 10Place the skewers onto the rack, ensuring they are not touching each other.
- 11Once preheated, place the pan in the AIR FRY position and cook for 13 minutes. Carefully remove the pan from the oven, turn the skewers over and return to the oven. Select AIRFRY/SUPER CONVECTION/425°F/7 minutes and press start.
- 12To make the cucumber salad, put the sugar and boiling water in a small heatproof bowl, stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the vinegar and the salt.
- 13Slice the cucumber into thin rounds and put in a bowl. Add the red onion and vinegar mixture, stir gently to combine. Just before serving, add the mint.
- 14Warm the peanut sauce over medium heat and spoon into small serving bowls. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes flakes if using and serve with chicken satay and cucumber salad.