Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
1 hr 50 mins total time
30 mins active time
- 4½ oz unsalted butter
chopped, at room temperature
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- ⅔ cup (5¼ oz) superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (10½ oz) self-rising flour
- ⅓ cup (2¾ fl oz) milk
- 3 tbsp (1½ fl oz) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 10 fl oz heavy cream
- 1 lemon
zest finely grated
- Glace lemon slices
- 1Insert the wire rack into the middle shelf. Preheat the oven. Select BAKE/CONVECTION/350°F/18 minutes and press start.
- 2Line 2 x 6-cup (1/3 cup) muffin pans with paper baking cups.
- 3Put the butter, sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- 4Add the eggs one at time, beating well after each addition.
- 5Turn the mixer to low speed and add half the flour, mix until just combined then add half the milk. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk. Fold in the lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- 6Divide the batter evenly between the baking cups.
- 7Once preheated, place one tray in the oven and bake for 18 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and repeat with the second tray. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- 8Top each cupcake with cream, lemon zest and glace lemon slices, if desired. Serve.