Cheese and Bacon Rolls
1 hr 50 mins total time
30 mins active time
For the rolls:
- 3⅓ cups (17½ oz) bread flour
- 1¾ tsp instant dried yeast
- ¾ tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp flaky sea salt
- 1¼ cups (10 fl oz) warm water
- 3 tbsp (1½ fl oz) olive oil
plus extra for greasing
For the topping:
- 1 cup (3½ oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup (1 oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (2½ oz) slices bacon
- 1To make the rolls, put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook. Mix to combine. Add the water and oil, mix on medium speed for 8 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. (Alternatively, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add water and mix until the dough comes together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic).
- 2Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- 3Grease the roasting pan well.
- 4Put the dough back into the bowl of the stand mixer. Knead on low speed for 3 minutes until the dough is smooth. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 5Cut the dough into 16 (1 ¾ oz) pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball and place on the greased roasting pan, spacing them evenly apart. Lightly press the balls to flatten slightly. Cover lightly with a piece of greased plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 20 minutes or until the rolls double in size.
- 6Insert the wire rack into the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select BAKE/CONVECTION/350°F/25 minutes and press start.
- 7To make the topping, uncover the rolls. Combine the mozzarella and cheddar cheese and sprinkle over the rolls. Sprinkle over the bacon.
- 8Once preheated, place the rolls in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- 9Turn the rolls out onto a wire rack, then turn bacon side up. Serve warm or at room temperature.