1 hr 10 mins total time
25 mins active time
- 1 lb russet potatoes
- ½ medium onion
minced (about ½ cup)
- 2 tbsp matzo meal
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg
- Sour cream and apple sauce
- 1Grate potatoes on the large holes of a box grater. Place grated potato on a double layer of cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid out as possible, collecting it in a bowl.
- 2Let potato water sit for 5 minutes. Carefully pour the brown water off the top, leaving the starch in the bowl. There may be a small amount of liquid left.
- 3Add the potatoes and onion to the bowl with the starch. Sprinkle over the matzo meal and then the salt. Pour the egg over and mix together with your hands.
- 4Scoop 2 scant tablespoons of potato mixture per latke and form into thin patties about 2½-inches in diameter. Arrange latkes evenly on the airfry basket, being careful not to press down too hard.
- 5Select AIRFRY/400°F/SUPER CONVECTION/20 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- 6Cook in rack position 4 until latkes are brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Repeat with remaining potato mixture, squeezing out any excess liquid that may have accumulated before forming the latkes.
- 7Serve immediately with sour cream and apple sauce, if desired.Tip: For a more indulgent version, mix 1 tablespoon of chicken fat into the potato mixture before forming the latkes.