6 hrs total time
1 hr active time
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup ground almond
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1Combine molasses, sugar and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter and sugar melt, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and reserve.
- 2Sift flour, spices and baking soda into a large bowl. Add molasses mixture, egg and ground almonds and stir until combined.
- 3Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap and pat into a disc. Wrap completely and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 4Unwrap dough and roll 0.1-inch thick between two sheets of parchment paper. Place on flat tray or pan and freeze for 15 minutes before cutting out shapes.
- 5Insert wire rack into rack position 5. Select COOKIES/CONVECTION/325°F/ 6 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- 6Cut out shapes with 3-inch (7.5cm) cookie cutters and place on roasting pan lined with parchment paper. Keep remaining dough in the freezer until needed. Let soften slightly as needed before cutting out shapes.
- 7Once preheated, place pan in the oven and bake for 6-7 minutes until edges just start to brown. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 8Sift powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Whisk in water until desired consistency is reached. Thicker icing can be piped onto cookies and thinner icing can be brushed on as a glaze.Tip: Cookies will keep for up to three weeks in an airtight container.