Tandoori Game Hens
5 hrs total time
15 mins active time
- 1 cup (8½ oz) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½-inch piece (3/4 oz) fresh ginger
peeled, finely grated
- 1 small lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
plus extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- 3 (17½ oz) Cornish game hens
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- Parsley sprigs
- Lemon wedges
- Warm flat bread
- 1Combine the yogurt, ginger, lemon juice, oil, spices and salt in a bowl.
- 2Put the hens on a tray. Pat dry with paper towel. Spoon the yogurt mixture over the hens, turning to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 3Remove the hens from the marinade, wiping off the excess marinade. Put the hens, skin side up, in the roasting pan.
- 4Insert the wire rack into the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select ROAST/CONVECTION/400°F/40 minutes and press start.
- 5Once preheated, put the hens in the oven and roast for 40 minutes until cooked through. The juices should run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh.
- 6Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- 7Transfer the hens to a serving platter, scatter over the almonds and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges and flat bread.