The Flavors of Christmas Pizza
8 hrs 35 mins total time
30 mins active time
For the dough:
- 3¾ cups (1¼ lb) bread flour
- 1 tsp instant dried yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1½ cups (12 fl oz) cold water
For the garlic oil:
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the ricotta topping:
- ½ cup (4½ oz) ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- ⅛ tsp dried chili flakes (optional)
For the pizza:
- ¼ tsp balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ tsp mixed spice
- 3 oz cooked turkey meat
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
- ¼ cup baby arugula
- 1To make the dough, place the flour, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook attachment, mix to combine. Add the water and knead on low speed for 5-6 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Allow to proof in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 2Once doubled in size, scatter some semolina onto a clean countertop. Turn the dough out and divide into 4 even portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball.
- 3Lightly sprinkle 2 baking trays with semolina and place 3 dough balls on the trays, leaving 4-inches between the balls. Cover each tray with plastic wrap and refrigerate for another use (up to 5 days).Tip: Alternatively, you can individually wrap each one in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container in the freezer. Remove dough as required, allowing the dough to come to room temperature before use.
- 4Place the remaining dough ball back into a medium bowl and cover. Allow to proof in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 5Meanwhile, make the garlic oil by tossing the garlic in the salt in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook gently for 3 minutes, or until lightly colored. Pour through a strainer and allow to cool to room temperature. Divide the oil into 3 bowls, 1½ tsp in a medium bowl for the ricotta mixture, ½ tsp in a small bowl for the arugula dressing and the remaining for brushing.
- 6Add all the ricotta topping ingredients to the medium bowl with the garlic oil and stir to combine.
- 7Add the balsamic and mixed spice to the small bowl with the garlic mixture and stir to combine.
- 8Preheat The Smart Oven™ Pizzaiolo by selecting the Wood Fired setting. This can take up to 20 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, use a bench scraper to lift the dough and dip both sides in the semolina to coat. Place onto a clean countertop and gently press out the dough with your fingertips, working from the center outwards into an approximate 8½-inch round, leaving a ½-inch border. Lightly sprinkle the peel with the semolina. Carefully transfer the dough onto the peel, gently brushing off any excess semolina.
- 10Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the dough, leaving a ½-inch border. Brush the edge of the dough with half the garlic oil.
- 11Once The Smart Oven™ Pizzaiolo has preheated, transfer the pizza to the oven and cook for 2 minutes or until the crust is starting to develop brown spots. Turn the pizza and cook for a further 30 seconds. Remove the pizza from the oven, place the turkey on the pizza and return to the oven for the final 30 seconds.
- 12Transfer the pizza to a cutting board. Evenly dollop the cranberry sauce over the pizza. Toss the arugula in the dressing, then scatter evenly over the pizza. Brush the edge of the pizza with the remaining garlic oil.
- 13Slice and serve hot.